Milestones in the Royal Regina's History

1899

The club opened for play south of College Avenue with this notice from the Regina Leader, May 4, 1899. It was the first golf club in Saskatchewan. The following excerpt is taken from the Regina Leader on the day of its opening.

The Regina Golf Club is un fait accompli. The course is to the west of the reservoir on the north side of Wascana Creek and has been laid out. A number of gentlemen have joined this week and a number more have intimated intention of joining. His Honour the Lieutenant-Governor (A.E. Forget) has signified his acceptance of the Hon. Presidency. On Saturday afternoon the course will be opened by a match between the members. If a sufficient number join it is proposed to erect a clubhouse for the convenience of members. Mr. J. Kelso Hunter (who laid out the nine-hole course) is the interim secretary.


1901

The club suffered a reduction in its membership by reason of the mosquitoes interfering with the pleasure of the game in the previous year when clouds of them followed Tom Watson’s daily herd which wandered across the golf course on the way to their barns and finally drove the players off the course. 

The club moved to a new site near the North West Mounted Police Barracks, away from the mosquitoes, and played on nine holes on what is now the eastern part of the course. Commissioner Perry of the NWMP and his daughters took an active part in the club.


1905

The club moved back to its original site (now Regina’s Crescent area) and erected a clubhouse there.


1908

The Regina Club hosted the first provincial tournament, inviting participants from the Barracks Club, Sedley, Saskatoon, and Moose Jaw. The winner was member William S. Gray over fellow member J. K. Hunter by a score of 4 & 3.


1909

The Regina Club again hosted the provincial tournament.


1910

The Club accepted Com. Perry’s invitation to return to the Barracks course and use the south end of the old recreation hall as a dressing room.


1911

A group of discontented members broke away to form the Wascana Country Club. 

The Regina Club expanded to 13 holes with the first five being played twice to make eighteen. The completion of the Regina Street Railway on Dewdney Avenue made for easy access to the Club. 

The Club began to use the NWMP medical officer's residence as their clubhouse.


1913

The Club hired its first professional, Fred Ford or Foord, from Scotland. 

Water pipes were laid to "the five greens which require it most" and scorecards with yardages and bogey scores were printed.


1914

The Club’s second pro was W.H. Brinkworth, Birdie Prosofky’s grandfather.


1923

The Club acquired a formal 21-year lease on its land from the federal government instead of just relying on the good will of the RCMP for tenure, and the club was officially incorporated by an act of the Legislature of Saskatchewan.


1924

The Club opened its new clubhouse complete with "a spacious lounge room, dining room, ladies' locker room and verandah." The men continued to use the old medical residence until their locker room was completed the next year.


1925

Stanley Thompson, Canada’s best known golf architect, visited the course and drew up plans to improve the course. According to these plans, greens would be reshaped and sown to bent grass; properly located bunkers would be installed; drainage would be well plotted and spruce windscreens would be planted. 

A group of 200 American golfers (which included two British Open champs, the U.S. amateur champ, and the Irish amateur champ) played an exhibition match at the Club, attracting "the largest crowd ever seen on the golf course".


1927

On September 30, fire completely destroyed the new clubhouse. The loss was estimated at $12,000 for the building and furnishings and about $8,500 for members’ private property, such as clubs valued at from $25 to $70 per set. A few members tried to salvage the iron heads of their clubs from the ashes; the wooden shafts were nothing but charcoal.


1928

A new clubhouse was opened to replace the one destroyed by fire.


1932

Tom Ross took over as professional, beginning his 32 years at the Club.


1934

The RCMP medical officer’s house was torn down, and the area converted into the present parking lot. All four provincial champions came from the Regina Club: Tom Ross won the open, Ken Smith the amateur, Bobby Reid the junior, and Virginia Brown the women’s.


1947

A new wing was added to the clubhouse.


1958

The Club began using the first watering system on the fairways.


1959

The Club hired its first full-time Secretary Manager, Mr. Gilbert Connellan, who held that position until 1966.


1963

The Club secured a liquor license for its cocktail lounge and dining room.


1964

Club member Ernie Greenley was a member of the Saskatchewan team which captured the national Willingdon Cup championship. 

Tom Ross retired after 32 years as professional.

Regina Golf Club member Joanne Goulet reached the semi-finals of the ladies British Open at Prince’s Golf Club in Sandwich England, where she lost to English player Bridget Jackson on the twentieth hole.


1971

The Club hosted Peter Jackson Saskatchewan Open which attracted leading professionals such as Al Balding, Moe Norman, and Wilf and Stan Homenuik to compete for the total prize money of $7,500. The 54-hole event had to be shortened to 36 holes when winds gusting up to 50 miles per hour forced the cancellation of play on Saturday.


1976

The RRGC hosted the National Junior Girls Championships.


1977

Randy Avram established a course record of 63. 

Mr. Jack Jahnke became the Club’s General Manager.


1985

Joanne Goulet was a member of the Saskatchewan senior team which won the Canadian National Senior Women’s Team Championship.


1986

Gord Burgess was hired as, and continues to be, CPGA Head Professional.


1987

The Club co-hosted the Canadian National Senior Mens Amateur championships.


1991

The Regina Club hosted the National Senior Women’s Championship.


1997

The Saskatchewan Section of the Canadian Ladies Golf Association and the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame published Breaking 100:  A Century of Women’s Golf in Saskatchewan written by club member Sandra Bingaman.  This book describes the development of the game in the province, beginning with the Regina Club as the first course, and highlights the successful career of club member Joanne Goulet.


1998

Assistant pro Dean Brown sets a new course record of 62.


1999

The Regina Golf Club celebrated its hundredth anniversary. As part of the celebrations, the Club receives official "Royal" designation from Queen Elizabeth II, and becomes The Royal Regina Golf Club, joining an elite group of only 5 golf courses in Canada to hold recognized "Royal" designation.


2001

A new 18,000 square foot clubhouse was opened, offering members and guests a more spacious and comfortable environment for their enjoyment.


2002

Mr. Don Nelson was hired as General Manager to fill the position after the retirement of Jack Jahnke.

Assistant CPGA professional Dean Brown improved upon his previous course record by posting the new official course record of 61.


2003

The club hosted the Canadian National Men's Mid-Amateur golf championship, attracting an international field of 160 of the best amateur golfers, aged 40 or more.


2006

Mr. Archie Cameron was hired as General Manager


2008

The Royal Regina Golf Club hosted the hundred edition of the Saskatchewan Men’s Amateur Championship.  The club was chosen for this honour because it was the site of the first championship ever held in the province, in 1908.


2010

Pro Gord Burgess retired after 25 years.
Life Member Joanne Goulet was inducted into the Saskatchewan Golf Hall of Fame as an athlete.


2011

Dean Brown CPGA Assistant Professional at the club for the past 15 years was appointed Head CPGA Professional March 1st 2011.

Life Members  Doug Mader and Terry Meier were inducted into the Saskatchewan Golf Hall of Fame, Doug as an athlete and Terry as a builder.


2012

November 2012
Life Member Joanne Goulet was recently presented the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal - 2012

Joanne was the first women in Canada to have a golf course named in her honour.
For over half a century she has been a model of excellence in the game she loves.
Since she first took a club-in-hand at the age of 14, she has won literally dozens of tiltles and tournaments at the local, national and international levels.

Joanne has won the Regina Women's golf championship 32 times, the Saskatchewan Junior Women's title twice, the Saskatchewan Amateur Women's Championship 9 times, and the Saskatchewan Senior Women's title 6 times. Played on two national championship teams, and participated in the British Open winning the Commonwealth Trophy as a semi finalist.
In 1980 Joanne was installed in the Saskatchewan Hall of Fame.

We are certainly proud to have Joanne has a life member of the Royal Regina Golf Club.


2016

The mark of a man is best exemplified by how he treats others. To that measurement, Archie Cameron was an exceptional person. For a decade it was his collaborative leadership that elevated the reputation and success of our club to exceptional levels. His untimely passing was felt by all. His smile, his positive attitude, his reluctance in accepting many well earned accolades, makes it impossible to replace him. Archie was our GM for over a decade. His influence on our success will be felt. Always.